🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper Dressing

0b77ca4a c3cb 4552 b878 04ae93830024  food52 04 03 12 3659

I have a question about the recipe "April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper Dressing" from Genius Recipes.

asked by MTMitchell over 5 years ago

I suspect Ms. Bloomfield uses superfine sugar because it would dissolve more easily. In that case, you could just use regular granulated sugar and stir it into the lemon juice until it dissolves. I also suspect that the exact measurement is pretty inconsequential, but, analogous to measuring kosher salt vs regular salt by volume, the larger crystals of granulated sugar would suggest using an extra pinch. Finally, when it comes right down to it, you also could experiment with other sweeteners, such as honey.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Yes, davidpdx is absolutely right, and you don't even really taste the sugar in the final dressing -- it's there to just mellow the tartness of the lemon.

I haven't tested storing it for longer than an hour yet -- I'm sure you could get away with it, it just might start to taste less fresh and punchy the longer it sits.