🔕 🔔

Substitution Solution

Someone told me I can substitute sour cream for buttermilk. Is this correct? If so, what is the proper substitution ratio?

asked by barista_mum over 5 years ago

I don't know about substitution, but did you know you can make your own buttermilk? Put 1TBS vinegar in a glass measure and then fill with milk to 1 cup and let stand for 5 minutes. My only thought about subbing sour cream for buttermilk is the buttermilk has acid in it and is thinner. Maybe thin the sour cream with vinegar?

B4d6b166 1d4b 403c ac3b 320ee1ed1c33  dsc01280

Lemon juice also works to sour the milk for buttermilk substitution. Those substitutions work for baking. If you're making a sauce or not cooking with it, I'd be wary.