Subsituting buttermilk, with a twist?

So I know it's possible to substitute buttermilk with sour cream in a cake recipe. I also know from experience that I can substitute sour cream with chèvre for plenty of things. But I'm about to start a post baby cake for my boss and I've wondering if anyone has a second opinion on whether I can use chèvre instead of buttermilk in a chocolate beet cake? I'm leaning towards yes, thinned down with some milk, but would like to hear what y'all have to say. Before you ask, I live on a goat dairy hence the abundence of cheese to be throwing 'round

asked by morgan 12 months ago

Community Editor at Food52

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer to this in time morgan. I think it sounds good, personally. How did the cake turn out?

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I have an opinion on this, but a very uneducated one. I don't think it will work. I don't believe chèvre has the moisture content or acidity that sour cream or buttermilk has. If you thin it down with milk, you'll end up with less acidity. When I have milk but not buttermilk, I just acidulate it with pretty much whatever I have (lemon, vinegar, etc.), you don't really end up tasting it in the final product.

morgan

Hi! So, there was a delay in the cake baking, it ended up perfectly fine with the chèvremilk. I checked the ph out of curiosity after Piece of Layercake's suggestion, it was 4.72, according to the allmightly Google, buttermilk has a ph in the 4.2 to 4.8 range so it fit nicely in there

Community Editor at Food52

So happy to hear it worked well, thanks for reporting back!