Freezing sauces?? Ew

I made a red pepper sauce, put it in the freezer for 3 months in one of this glass jars (tostitos salsa jar) and when I defrosted it in fridge for 2 to 3 days...it ended up being a nasty sponge texture...it wasn't a sauce anymore? My experience with freezing food then defrosting it hasn't been a good one lately. The texture is alway different/nasty.

asked by newcook6 over 6 years ago

And what is your question?

newcook6

When I defrosted the sauce, why did the consistency end up being a spongy texture...rather then a sauce, like it was when I first made it.

What was the recipe or what did you want to achieve? Red peppers have a lot of liquid and that needs to be taken into account. Sometimes they need to be roasted first.

newcook6

I made Bobby Flay's smoked red pepper sauce, which came out excellent, but again, after being in the freezer, then defrosted, the texture was all wrong. Using a glass jar to store the sauce was the problem? Or maybe being in the freezer for 3 months too long?

Recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork...

ChefOno

Glass jar, good. 3 months no problem.

When you blended the oil with the rest of the ingredients (essentially water), you created an emulsion. Emulsions are fragile; they all have their breaking points. This one couldn't stand the freezing.