🔕 🔔

Can I freeze salsa?

My garden is full off tomato cilantro and peppers. I want to make a huge batch of salsa and freeze portions. Anyone ever tried it???

asked by kimhw about 5 years ago

Can you freeze? Yes. Should you? No. Even refrigeration will dull the flavors. Freezing will kill them. There's a reason there's not a frozen salsa section in your supermarket.

How about canning?

It depends on the kind of salsa you're thinking about freezing. A salsa fresca, with raw ingredients, never..

But some cooked salsas can be frozen successfully. If there are fresh ingredients like cilantro or scallions added after cooking, it's best to omit them--their texture suffers badly from freezing and thawing.. Instead, add them fresh to the thawed and reheated salsa base. I often freeze the base of salsa verde and salsa ranchera when tomatillos or tomatoes are abundant. Some liquid separates out during freezing, but reheating takes care of that.

I've had good luck freezing enchilada sauces, too.

My husband makes a batch of salsa every month & we freeze it in weekly portions. The flavor is fine for us ... We never keep it in the freezer for more than a week or so. My husband also roasts all the veggies on the outdoor fire so it is very flavorful to start with.

If the salsa is puréed is fine but chunky no.

Vegetables are made of cellulose and when they freeze the cellulose molecules shatter like glass. This is why when you freeze items they become watery.

Any thing cooked down to release the water help.