How long will freshly rendered lard last?

I have some lovely snow white lard rendered by a local processor from a Mangalitsa hog. How long can I keep it in the fridge?

asked by Homemadecornbread over 6 years ago

gourmettenyc

According to what I've read, freshly rendered lard will last up to 3 months in the fridge and 1 year in the freezer.

If you keep it in glass, in the coldest part of the fridge, and tightly covered, my experience is 6 to 9 months -- IF it lasts that long!

ChefOno

Under the theory of colder = better when it comes to storage, I've always frozen mine in sealed glass jars (with a working supply in the refrigerator). As an experiment, I've been keeping an unsealed jar in the pantry, inspecting it from time to time whenever I happen across it. It's been in there over 5 years with no detectable changes.

Recently I ran across this story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news...