what is gammon? (big debate @ work) I think it's a meat but my mates not sure

asked by @Concorman about 8 years ago

TiggyBee

It's the hind leg of a pig, so you win.

Verdigris

Gammon is from an Old Northern French word "Gambe" for hind- leg of the pig or ham. However, if one wants a whole ham then a ham is ordered, if one wants part of the ham (usually boned and rolled or cut into steaks) that portion of the ham is usually called Gammon.

innoabrd

gammon is a very british term for a cured ham. Sometimes whole, sometimes part, sometimes bonned, sometimes on the bone. Often very salty and first boiled and then finished in the oven.