Need Recipe for Chard Stems!

I have removed the leaves from my chard for another recipe, but would like to use the stems instead of tossing them. Any recipes ideas? Thanks!

asked by emilyolson over 6 years ago

Panfusine

Pickle them into a relish
...dice the stems, salt, cayenne, turmeric, & some crushed black mustard. Heat up some oil & pour over the mix. Stir and then add the juice of 1/2 lemon..

Oh good for you, don't toss them. Add them to something like this, they'd be a fantastic addition:

The stems are delicious breaded and fried.

LLStone

Boil them in some salted water until soft, add herbs, a little garlic, maybe cheese, and oil and make a pesto! Or put them in a broth for added flavor. Also, see Tamar Adler's book, An Everlasting Meal - it's outstanding. Honestly, outstanding.

Quinciferous

They'll be delicious braised with some garlic and tossed into a frittata with some other vegetables.

LE BEC FIN

Funny, i always cook chard stems with chard leaves. They are both so full of water that they cook quickly together. Try it next time. Or try starting with the chopped stems, sauteeing a few minutes, and then adding the leaves.