malt syrup versus brown rice syrup

I am an inexperienced candy maker, and I'd like to try this recipe:

http://kitchentigress.blogspot.com/2009/09/date-and-walnut-soft-candy-chinese.html

I have brown rice syrup in the cupboard and am wondering about using it in place of the malt syrup. The recipe doesn't get super specific about temperatures, and I'm not sure about the consistency or sweetness (or other qualities) of the malt syrup. Can anyone advise if I should get malt syrup or if trying the brown rice syrup seems reasonable?

Nozlee Samadzadeh
Nozlee Samadzadeh April 23, 2012

I would try to find malt syrup! Their sugar contents vary a lot, and it's likely that they react differently to boiling.

hardlikearmour April 23, 2012

Per cook's thesaurus 3/4 cup barley malt syrup is equivalent to 1 cup brown rice syrup. They don't tell you for specific applications, though, so for candy making it would be a bit of a crap shoot. I'd personally give it a try, but would be willing to have a failure in the name of candy science experiments!

vvvanessa
vvvanessa April 23, 2012

Thanks for your responses! I think I'm going to try a half-batch first with the rice syrup and keep my fingers crossed. I saw that substitutions list, too, which only confused me more because it also listed maple syrup as a substitute for the barley, and consistency-wise, that seems like a leap. But I'll be finding out shortly!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 27, 2012

i haven't looked at the recipe but candymaking is so tricky/temperature can be critically important that i wouldn't risk it. malt syrup is sold at WF here. But if you do use rice syrup, hope to learn from you!
best, mindy