IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »

malt syrup versus brown rice syrup

I am an inexperienced candy maker, and I'd like to try this recipe:

http://kitchentigress.blogspot...

I have brown rice syrup in the cupboard and am wondering about using it in place of the malt syrup. The recipe doesn't get super specific about temperatures, and I'm not sure about the consistency or sweetness (or other qualities) of the malt syrup. Can anyone advise if I should get malt syrup or if trying the brown rice syrup seems reasonable?

asked by vvvanessa over 4 years ago
84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

I would try to find malt syrup! Their sugar contents vary a lot, and it's likely that they react differently to boiling.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Per cook's thesaurus 3/4 cup barley malt syrup is equivalent to 1 cup brown rice syrup. They don't tell you for specific applications, though, so for candy making it would be a bit of a crap shoot. I'd personally give it a try, but would be willing to have a failure in the name of candy science experiments!

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

Thanks for your responses! I think I'm going to try a half-batch first with the rice syrup and keep my fingers crossed. I saw that substitutions list, too, which only confused me more because it also listed maple syrup as a substitute for the barley, and consistency-wise, that seems like a leap. But I'll be finding out shortly!

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i haven't looked at the recipe but candymaking is so tricky/temperature can be critically important that i wouldn't risk it. malt syrup is sold at WF here. But if you do use rice syrup, hope to learn from you!
best, mindy