Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Canal House Cookbooks

I've got many cookbooks, and have sworn not to buy many more. However, I'm charmed by the Canal House books in the shop. Should I make room for the 3-set and get rid of 3 that I'm not using much anymore? I'm sure they are great, since they are offered in the shop, but are they must-haves? Any testimonials?

asked by LLStone over 4 years ago

I have volume no. 7. It is the first one that I have ever bought. I would definitely recommend the book to others. The recipes are interesting. Each recipe has a story that goes with it. There are also sections and recipes on how to make some of the ingredients yourself (example ricotta). Therefore, not your usual cookbook. Nicely educational with good recipes.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I have 1 - 3. They are incredibly inspiring. They definitely are must-haves, in my opinion.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

I've never seen them. Notwithstanding that fact, I would urge you to visit www.chowhound.com and their Home Cooking board, where they feature one cookbook per month and people report on their experiences with the book's recipes. I would bet that these Canal House cookbooks have had some attention on that board.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I was seduced by the hype and own the set. They are the kind of cookbook that has a lot of narrative. In short, they are excellent for reading in bed. Lovely photography. Because they are issued serially, there is no index in the individual books. (I think they have issued some sort of overall index that one can get from the web site.) I have tried some of the recipes (once I locate them---that's the index problem) and they are generally good, although I have to say that if you own a lot of cookbooks you won't find much that you can't find elsewhere. Each book is focused on a particular season of the year.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I would also add that in addition to being beautiful and well-written (and well put together), the recipes are very good. More than anything, they're inspiring--they make you want to cook good, simple food. Most recently, I made the meat ragu from La Dolce Vita (I think that's the name of it) in the Canal House series, and it was seriously the best ragu I've ever eaten. Amazing. It made several meals for us. I highly recommend them.