The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Need a Poteca recipe

I used to have an old family recipe for Poteca but it is lost (hopefully not forever). With mother's day on the horizon, I would love to make this Slovene bread as it is a family favorite. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

asked by vipavec about 5 years ago

It may alao be spelled "potica."

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

This comes from a Slovenian Heritage Cookbook my husband bought:
Dough:
1 cup oleo
1/2 cup milk
2 packages dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
Melt and cool oleo and milk. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and beat in egg yolks. Blend in cooled milk and oleo mixture. Sift in flour, salt, and sugar. Beat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Filling:
2 cups ground walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup milk
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
Mix to paste, over heat, the nuts, cinnamon, 3 tablespoons sugar and milk. Cool. Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding 1 cup sugar. Fold in the filling paste.
Roll out half the dough into an 18-20 inch circle, on well floured cloth. Spread half of filling on dough and roll as for jelly roll. Place in greased Bundt pan. Roll other half same way, and fill and put on top of other roll, only put it in the opposite direction. Allow to rise 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Let cool 5 minutes before turning out of pan. Makes 1 loaf.

7c4e3778 a9ef 4b22 a4b5 bb759212c530  dsc 6356

http://thedaringkitchen... - I had adapted the recipe from this link...