A question about a recipe: Curried Kabocha and Kale

27b61f58 54ff 4d55 98d9 c10edbb633ec  curried kale and kabocha

I have a question about the ingredient "galangal" on the recipe "Curried Kabocha and Kale" from edamame2003.
WHAT IS IT GALANGAL?

asked by Katherine's Kitchen about 6 years ago

PhillipBrandon

It's a root-looking thing (I think technically a "rhizome"). It looks a bit like garlic, but with a much stronger flavor. It comes fresh or powdered; this looks like it's calling for the fresh root. Asian or Indian markets are going to be your best bet to finding some. It's not stocked in many mainstream American shops.

Quinciferous

Wait, it looks like ginger, not garlic, and has a very similar flavor. If you cannot find galangal wherever you are -- and I agree that Asian markets would be your best bet -- fresh ginger is a good substitute.

PhillipBrandon

Yes. Ginger. Sorry about that. Clearly time for me to turn in for the night.