🔕 🔔

Buttermilk

Should buttermilk be at room temp for a cake that calls for eggs at room temp? I've always wondered, and just came across an ingredient list that again calls for eggs at room temp and, simply, buttermilk shaken.

asked by ATG117 over 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

It's likely that the eggs need to be at room temperature to better expand when they're added to the creamed butter and sugar -- by the time you add the buttermilk to the recipe along with the dry ingredients, it matters less what the specific temperature of the buttermilk is.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

However, having your buttermilk room temp won't hurt anything. Given enough time at room temp, though, it will curdle.

Thanks for the explanation, Nozlee. I know eggs and butter always need to be at room temp for creamig, but I figured that if the buttermilk needed to be at room temp, the recipe would have noted it. This makes a lot of sense.