A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173

I have a question about the ingredient "lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths" on the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat.

asked by Patricia B about 6 years ago

It's the kale that's also called alligator kale because it has a leathery textured appearance.

...or black kale, or cavolo nero. The familiar supermarket kale is usually called curly kale. There are other strains with color in the leaves which are mainly used for garnish.

Actually, you can use almost any green for this recipe -- look through the comments. Is your kale home grown or from a farmers market? I don't think I've seen it in flower in supermarkets. Some plants will turn bitter when they reach the flowering stage (like lettuce), so taste the leave to check.