🔕 🔔

How to get boiled sugar water to color!?!

I've boiled sugar and water for a flan, and the recipe says to let it simmer until it colors, but it's been simmering for almost an hour and still no color. Suggestions please??

asked by voodoo41 over 5 years ago

I have made flan numerous times and I find the best and easiest way to color the sugar is to put the sugar in the pan you are going to bake the the flan in. I generally use 1/2 c sugar without any water. Put the pan directly over the med heatthe medium heat and

Heat and swirl the sugar until it liquefies. Be careful the sugar can burn very quickly once the sugar melts. I have had no luck using water withe sugar. GoodLuck!

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

Swirling and stirring the sugar while its boiling will cause it to run up the sides of the pot and crystallize from the heat. Don't forget to brush water around the sides of your pot as it boils to prevent that crystallization of the sugar!

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

I agree with Glenda.When I make flan or pudding,I just melt the sugar in low heat till it gets golden brown and then add some butter.It's great cause nothing sticks to the baking dish and it gives out a taste of toffee.Also,you don't need all that watery syrup making things all mushy,in my opinion.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Wet and dry caramels are are two different techniques with different applications and tastes.

I'm not saying one is better than the other for flan - do what works for you - but don't be concerned that a wet caramel will make things watery. Water boils at 100C, and by the time you're reaching a colour stage with sugar you're up around 160-170C and less than 1% of the solution is water - so you're really only dealing with melted sugar.