🔕 🔔

is there a cornstarch substitute for fried chicken?

asked by Danedane over 5 years ago

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

You would have to share your recipe with me. I, personally, don't use cornstarch when I fry chicken.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

There are many substitutes for agents to fry chicken - lately been using coconut flour which is great.

We have used polenta. Pan fried.

When I fry legs and thighs, all I do is a light dredge in seasoned flour, fry in the pan with hot oil, skin side down, until golden and crispy. Flip it over, cook for another minute. Then, finish in the oven.

For breasts, I'll take the skin off, pound it lightly with a mallet, and do a flour/eggwash/breadcrumb coating and cook it the same way.

There is a recipe for Japanese fried chicken, which uses cornstarch, in Sheila Lukins' Around the Word Cookbook. Unfortunately, my book is at home and I'm somewhere else at the moment, but if you can get the book you can check out that recipe. Also, if you Google"Japanese fried chicken" you will find recipes that use potato starch or cornstarch.

5590ce29 aa2e 417c 94ba 2fbc61134171  174060 100000008404888 3554258 n

Edna Lewis and Scott and Scott Peacock have one recipe for pan fried chicken that uses flour, cornstarch and potato starch, and another recipe that uses flour and cornstarch. They are both very good, but so is just flour, salt and pepper.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

When I see cornstarch for fried chicken. I think Chinese chicken wings. A method is a large pot of water, with some soy sauce, orange juice, sugar, sake--enough to cover the pieces. Bring to a boil put in the wings; let it return to a simmer; Turn off the heat and wait 20 mins--this should cook all the chicken. Remove and drain on a wire rack for about 30 mins--put in a paper bag with some cornstarch and a touch of salt. Shake and deep fry to crisp up the skin.

It's super easy and makes a flavorful crispy wing. The final fry is more to crisp up the skin and cornstarch than to cook the chicken, so you don't have to fry long and it's a bit easier to fry.

The best fried chicken I've had involves a soak in buttermilk, followed by a dredge in seasoned flour, followed by an egg wash, followed by a healthy coating in a flour/cornmeal batter, then fried in peanut oil. Not low fat, but incredibly tasty and crunchy! The real secret to anything fried being really crunchy is the 3 dip method (flour - egg - flour/whatever).