🔕 🔔

Can Semolina be Substituted for Bread Flour?

I am attempting to make the Light Brioche Burger Bun recipe that Smitten Kitchen got from the NY Times. It calls for bread flour but I only have all purpose and semolina. Would semolina be a good substitute for the bread flour? I seem to recall that semolina is a high-gluten flour.

asked by justpicked over 5 years ago

I'd go with all AP flour rather than substituting semolina for the bread flour. Semolina *is* made from high-protein wheat, but is coarser than bread flour and slower to hydrate, so it behaves a lot differently in a dough.

Thanks sfmiller -- I think you're right. I'll let you know how I make out!