Boiling point "in oven"?

We see chefs place meat, covered with water, in the oven. They "cook" it at 350 degrees, for severl hours. Considering that the boiling point of water is 212 degrees, why the 350??????

asked by retired over 6 years ago

Susan Boyles

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For a brief braise, that temp would be acceptable. But for the time length you suggest, I consider that "killing" the food. My idea of "low and slow" is 225F or maybe 250F for 2-3 hours. That makes even the toughest meats tender. I agree with your implication and I think they just don't know what they are doing. Perhaps the default setting on their digital oven is 350F and they are too lazy to change it? lol