Navy vs. Great Northern Beans

I have a recipe that calls for navy beans, but the only thing I was able to find at the store that even looked remotely the same was great northern beans. Are these two types considered interchangeable for cooking purposes? Thanks!

asked by quixx over 6 years ago

ChefOno

In general, yes. But depending upon how fine a point you want to put on it, it really depends on what you're making. Great Northerns are a little larger, cook a little slower, hold their shape a little better.

mainecook61

Sure, why not? There are so many variables that affect dry beans, including when they were harvested. There is such a thing as a too dry dry bean, one that's been around overly long or not stored properly. If the Great Northerns are of good quality, go for it.