What is your quintessential summer meal?

The one you look forward most to during those long winter months.

asked by Bates,Barley over 6 years ago

MTMitchell

Lobster and fried clams on vacation, grilled vegetables with good olive oil and salt, my husband's famous ribs, hotdogs at ball games, tomato-blue cheese-red onion salad, ice cream (ok I eat that year round).

chef of the future 2000

Grilled Mexican style corn, baby back ribs, fresh vegetable slaw and a nice glass of cold rose.

TheFritschKitchen

tacos! With fresh corn tortillas.

Thistle

Caprese on crusty bread... with heirloom tomatoes.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Everything grilled and anything involving fresh tomatoes and/or corn. Oh, and making open faced sandwiches from a big bowl of shrimp, crusty bread, mayo, lemon, and dill, with lots of chilled white wine or rose to accompany.

Grilled pizza!

petitbleu

Corn--when it's fresh, I can easily make a meal out of it--grilled with cultured butter or in the Mexican style; corn fritters; sautéed corn and jalapeños; even raw with sea salt. And then tomatoes with good olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add a cold beer and a grilled peach stuffed with goat cheese and you have summer.

EmilyC

A BLT with peach pie for dessert!

bigpan

A large platter of antipasto - cheeses, prosciutto, salami, roasted veg, olives, prawns, tuna, anchovies, butter beans, sun dried tomato, etc etc and bread sticks and baguette.
Let everyone pick and choose with a nice glass or two or three of chianti.

Paella, which is traditionally cooked outside over a WOOD fire, no briquettes. In fact I just did that last night with local spot prawns and chicken thighs (surf and turf). Favorite summer meal.

Grilled lemongrass chicken

Greens and tomatoes from my garden with a light basil dressing, a goat cheese with lavender spread, corn on the cob, grilled shrimp with a chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. For dessert fresh strawberries and watermelon. This is to be eaten out of doors.

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong photo. Meant to upload one of my garden. The above is a kale-pineapple green drink that is amazing. Let's try again.

healthierkitchen

Lovely garden! I have nooo sun. My herbs seem to thrive, but little else, sadly

Benny

home made sausage on the grill with a cold beer.

cookinginvictoria

Fried zucchini flowers stuffed with fresh ricotta and goat cheese. In June, fresh local spot prawns, barely cooked; later in the summer, grilled wild salmon or halibut Just picked produce from my garden, especially fresh basil, arugula and tomatoes. To finish, anything made with local blueberries or raspberries or strawberries AND homemade ice cream.

healthierkitchen

These all sound so good!

I like a glass of chilled vinho verde, sautéed corn, sliced tomatoes or a panzanella, and some grilled sausages and vegetables.

Oh yes, vino verde is wonderful in the heat! Love your menu.

healthierkitchen

Thanks SKK! I might need to do this tonight!

Louisa

Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, white half-runners, summer squash, collards or kale and skillet cornbread.
Peaches any way for dessert.

So many things - many listed here already. Also if by the shore, steamers, lobster rolls, fried clams, fritto misto. If anywhere, melon or figs with prosciutto, salade nicoise (with good canned tuna in olive oil,) fresh raspberries, peach, plum or blueberry tart/cobbler/pie with homemade ice cream, a glass of rose, prosecco or vinho verde...

But for me the quintessential is probably a perfect BLT, made with great thick cut bacon, just picked ripe tomatoes and homemade mayo. No need to get cute with newfangled additions. That and a glass of cold rose and I'm a happy girl.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

BBQ meatballs, pasta salad and steamed broccoli.

Summer of Eggplant

Steamed shrimp or crabs, corn on the cob with either a tomato or cucumber salad.

mainecook61

A ripe home-grown tomato sandwiched between two slices of bread, with mayo.

Sadassa_Ulna

This is a fun mouth-watering thread...
We have a casual BBQ every Fourth of July: grilled burgers and teriyaki or tikka chicken (on a charcoal grill, which sets the mood), sesame noodles, ice-cold beer, deviled eggs, caprese salad, flash-boiled NJ corn-on-the-cob, watermelon, brownies, ice cream, strawberries.... and friends always bring great salads or wine... we set out three long tables into one very long table and pull up every chair we own... it is really the best day of summer. Then we walk down to the fireworks in Narberth, PA.

louisez

Pasta with raw tomato sauce -- chopped tomatoes fresh from the garden, basil ditto, a little olive oil -- maybe fresh mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano -- maybe toasted pine nuts.

savorthis

Corn salad tossed with shallot vinaigrette, sweet sungold tomatoes right off the vine, basil, crusty bread.

BoulderGalinTokyo

Don't forget the fresh peppers-stuffed, salads, salsas, and jalapeño poppers!

lloreen

Gazpacho from ripe tomatoes with a dollop of yoghurt and with ripe peaches for dessert