🔕 🔔

I made butternut squash soup and put in a smoked chipotle pepper and some curry. It's too hot! I strained out the pulp and added creme faiche and light cream. Now it's too thin and still hot. What's next? Should I add a potato or a few carrots or an apple?

asked by JVineyard almost 7 years ago

4ce2dec9 2beb 48f0 bbce 674e651246d3  food52icon

You could make a panard by weighing equal weights of flour and butter. e.g. 20g flour, 20g butter. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Cook out the flour until the mixture goes golden and add to the hot soup, blitz to thicken.

Add some more liquid to bulk it out, milk or cream, this will reduce the hotness of the soup. I hope this helps. https://twitter.com/grantacus...

Thank you both. I'm wary of the roux because I haven't made one in so long. I'm afraid of a flour taste. I did add more squash which helped. There's still a little bite at the back of the throat but I'm going to put it in the fridge until tomorrow and taste again. Thanks again!

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Try the potato cure: cut a couple of large potatoes into large chunks than can be removed from the soup later. Put them in the soup and simmer for a while, but don't let it go so long that the potato chunks fall apart. Skim them out. In theory, they absorb the heat. I'm not sure--never tried it, but it can't hurt. Good luck!

What you should do is cease using chipotle (presumably in adobo), yeah thank you Bobby Flay for referring to it as a spicy raisin flavor. It's not. I don't mind hot if it's backed up with flavor but chipotles are insidious and evil.

I kind of like chipotles. I sometime throw a few in when I make black-eyed peas. I like the smoke they give. Did someone really call them spicy raisins? Oy...

You could also do as in India, just serve it with Greek yoghurt to calm the kick down. Potatoes have also worked wonders for me!!!

I think the potato worked! It took some of the bite out and the added squash returned the texture. A little light cream after removing the potato and voila!