How can I adapt recipes with sour cream to make non-dairy? Specifically, carrot/fennel soup or butternut squash/cider soup.

Samantha999
Samantha999 November 8, 2010

Vegan Gourmet make a non-dairy sour cream that is really good. Same with their cream cheese.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 8, 2010

Coconut cream or coconut milk can be a great substitution. I also use vanilla soy yogurt sometimes, depending on the recipe. For those soups, I'd try coconut cream first. Add less coconut cream than it calls for sour cream and taste as you go. You might end up wanting to add cider vinegar to balance out the sweetness of coconut.

AromaCucina
AromaCucina November 8, 2010

Most of the time, a very good blender, like a Vita Mix will do the trick and you do not need to any any sort of cream or thickener. Should work like a charm with the squash soup.

Kayb
Kayb November 8, 2010

I wonder if you could thicken with bread crumbs, like a gazpacho?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 8, 2010

Oh! Also, when I make butternut squash soup, I blend roasted pecans or hazelnuts into it with a blender. It makes it thick and creamy, adds protein, and keeps it dairy-free. Walnuts or almonds have the same effect, but the flavor isn't quite as nice in my opinion.

anyone
anyone November 8, 2010

Make a veloute with roux made from vegetable oil. Dairy in this type of soup is for finishing so add your sour cream in the end. Remember cream or dairy in this case is for finishing not for thickening so most of these answers are a little off base.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee November 8, 2010

I agree that this is a finishing element. If blended really well, it shouldn't matter if you add dairy or not. I usually add coconut milk to my butternut squash soup to give it some added creaminess. It also adds a nice warmth and complexity of flavor that sour cream would not.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 8, 2010

sometimes a potato can make a pureed soup a litelt silkier and creamier. with fennel/carrot a yukon gold would work (1 diced in with the carrot) and with the squash,perhaps half a sweet potato?

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 8, 2010

sorry, "little"

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 8, 2010

Try using a panade with a little bit of white vinegar. The panade will thicken the soup and the white vinegar with add the tony bit of acidity that sour cream adds to soups. After the soup has simmered for the given time blend it with a stick blender or a regular blender to achieve a creamy consistency. I have made my cream of tomato soup this way for year.

90210 Farmgirl
90210 Farmgirl November 9, 2010

I agree with hillarybee that coconut milk is the way to go. I use the light, unsweetened kind. Add it slowly when the soup is warm so it doesn't break. It adds a fruity richness to soups, sweet potato puree, even macaroni and cheese. Here's a great recipe for Butternut Squash Soup: http://www.danaslatkin.com/kitchen/butternut-squash-soup. Have a yummy Thanksgiving!

spiffypaws
spiffypaws November 9, 2010

Any vegan plain yogurt will work, as long as you don't overheat the soup after adding. Other options include the vegan sour cream options. You could also reduce some soy or rice milk, cool, and add vinegar to give it some tang. I'm lactose intolerant, so I've had to deal with this issue a lot.