🔕 🔔

Salt turned blue on lime.

I'm making an arab salad,Tabuleh.It's a bulgar wheat salad with tomatoes,onions,green bell pepper,black pepper and olive oil.Looooooots of lime juice and salt.I make it since I was a little girl,but today something went wrong...or not...maybe I just never noticed it before but the salt turned blue in touch with the lime juice.Is this reaction normal?Is it safe to serve the salad like this?

asked by mensaque over 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The color blue could indicate the presence of copper or iodine.

Were you using a copper bowl by any chance? Copper = bad.

Iodine is present in most table salt (check the container). Certain combinations of chemicals can react with iodine ions creating the color.