for Barbara Kafka's roast chicken (http://t.co/Z4yzQtkZ) wld this work in a gas BBQ? Has anyone tried with success? Thanks!

Madame Sel
Madame Sel June 11, 2012

I've roasted many a chicken on a gas grill. I find that butterflying it makes it cook quicker, easier and more evenly-especially if you put a cast iron skillet or brick on top of it. Her recipe is a basic one; a blank canvas if you will, free to add whatever flavorings you have. If you wanted to leave it whole then I would do it over indirect heat on med-med high depending on your grill. Hope that helps!

nutcakes
nutcakes June 11, 2012

While you can roast chickens on a gas grill, this particular method relies on the oven being 500F, and I doubt you grill holds that, so don't do it unless you have a thermometer to monitor the air temp inside the grill. I'd go for the butterflyed brick top one mentioned above instead.

clumsychef
clumsychef June 14, 2012

Hello fellow cooks, thanks for the answers! I ended up mounting the chicken on a beer can and roasting it at 500F upright on the BBQ. Tonnes of smoke and a little charred, but it cooked quickly and was juicy and very tasty!