Freezing focaccia

I've got a beautiful double batch of focaccia dough rising on my counter. Is it best to freeze the dough off before or after baking, if I only need one pan of it today?

asked by SpaCook about 6 years ago

chefsusie

I make foccacia quite frequently. As it is quite a damp dough I would be inclined to freeze after baking. I think the moisture may be an issue.

JanetFL

I would freeze it before baking. I've also had it frozen after baking and thought the texture was not as good.

I'm wondering if you could par-bake it, then freeze it and finish baking it later....

Either way would work, but personally, I would freeze the dough before baking. But if you don't mind reheated bread, then go for it! I freeze leftover pizza all the time. Reheating it on a very hot pizza stone perks it up nicely.

I vote with HLA. I've had many years of good luck par-baking it (remove from the oven at the halfway point, cool) then freezing. Thaw overnight under refrigeration, replace on a sheet pan, add a bit more olive oil, though not a lot, and finish baking.

bigpan

I agree to freeze the dough rather than the final product - but I urge all to invest in a vacuum packer. Freeze the dough first, THEN vacuum pack. Use this method for all vacuum pack frozen items.