Freezing focaccia

I've got a beautiful double batch of focaccia dough rising on my counter. Is it best to freeze the dough off before or after baking, if I only need one pan of it today?

• Posted by: SpaCook
  • June 12, 2012

chefsusie
chefsusie June 12, 2012

I make foccacia quite frequently. As it is quite a damp dough I would be inclined to freeze after baking. I think the moisture may be an issue.

JanetFL
JanetFL June 12, 2012

I would freeze it before baking. I've also had it frozen after baking and thought the texture was not as good.

Voted the Best Reply!

Reiney
Reiney June 12, 2012

I'd suggest the best thing to do is to punch 1/2 the dough back now, shape into a tight ball and freeze. When you're ready to bake the new batch, defrost slowly in the fridge over 8 hours or so (to overnight) and proceed from there.

You can freeze post-baking but the crispy oily loveliness from foccacia just won't come through as well.

hardlikearmour June 12, 2012

I'm wondering if you could par-bake it, then freeze it and finish baking it later....

mrslarkin June 12, 2012

Either way would work, but personally, I would freeze the dough before baking. But if you don't mind reheated bread, then go for it! I freeze leftover pizza all the time. Reheating it on a very hot pizza stone perks it up nicely.

boulangere June 12, 2012

I vote with HLA. I've had many years of good luck par-baking it (remove from the oven at the halfway point, cool) then freezing. Thaw overnight under refrigeration, replace on a sheet pan, add a bit more olive oil, though not a lot, and finish baking.

bigpan
bigpan June 12, 2012

I agree to freeze the dough rather than the final product - but I urge all to invest in a vacuum packer. Freeze the dough first, THEN vacuum pack. Use this method for all vacuum pack frozen items.