lactose free cookies

how can i make lactose free cookies without "special" ingredients???

asked by littlechef14 over 6 years ago

Substitute Earth's Balance vegan margarine for the butter. (I'm not sure if that's a special ingredient)

Make meringues. Egg whites, sugar and a pinch of salt. And you can add whatever flavorings you like.

chef of the future 2000

Use lactose free milk and you can make any recipe.

Ophelia

1/2 cup nut butter, 1/2 cup sugar (brown or white), 1 egg. mix, roll into walnut sized balls and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. best peanut butter cookies ever.

I've had no problem substituting coconut oil for butter, if you want to use vegetable oil reduce the amount called for by a tablespoon or so per half cup, changes the texture a little, but not unpleasantly. And you can sub any non-dairy "milk" product for real milk. or just use water or juice.

Worse case scenario you end up with something that looks a little funny, sticks to the pan and tastes pretty good.

SeaJambon

Typically for cookies, the lactose issue will be with butter -- so substitute dairy-free margarine (Saffola is my favorite -- it really works surprisingly well as a butter replacement and is one of the few without whey in it somewhere -- although if Earth Balance or anyone else has a vegan margarine, that too would be dariy free by definition). If there is milk to be added, go with Lactaid (probably already in your fridge if you are lactose intolerant) or one of the other non-dairy milks (rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk... you get the idea).