The Italian nonstick pro chefs swear by, exclusive to us! Shop now »
🔕 🔔

chuck roast timing

I have 3 pieces of chuck roast (2 bone-in, 1 boneless) that I'm braising. each is between 1.3 #-1.5#. do I time it for 1.5# of meat or 4.5 # of meat? the pieces are laid out in the pan side by side.

asked by mcd2 almost 5 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

The basic answer with braising is "it's done when it's done." You will want that meat falling off the bone. It will take at least maybe two hours, but you will want to check internal temperatures. Time per pound to me is meaningless, so that's just a rough guideline. It should also be smelling up your house in a pleasant sort of way.

A0073018 4b0d 40c9 8700 234d707592cc  karl

When slow cooking or braising roasts, one key is to bring the internal temperature up to 190, at which point the connective tissue breaks down and you get that delicious 'fall apart' tenderness. Roasting might take 5 hours or more at 225, braising will be faster, guessing 2-3 hours? Either way, checking every half hour or so after the first hour the first time you make this recipe will give you a good feel for the progression.