Whipping cream vs. heavy whipping cream?

What's the difference? And more importantly... I have a recipe calling for "whipping cream" but I didn't know there's 2 different types & I'm not sure which to get. Thoughts?

• Posted by: Kt4
  • June 23, 2012

Kt4
Kt4 June 23, 2012

So I just happened across the 'heavy cream in ice cream' post. Of course it didn't come up when I searched the database lol. But I'm still not quite sure which my recipe wants... It's a really simple one for making caramels (not sauce).

ATG117
ATG117 June 23, 2012

Either should work just fine. I think heavy whipping cream may have slightly more fat--you can check the labels. I actually usually opt for plain ol' heavy cream.

bigpan
bigpan June 24, 2012

Where I live whipping cream is around 35% fat. Heavy cream is about 35% fat.
Perhaps the confusion is due to what country the recipe is written and which term is most common there.

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefOno
ChefOno June 24, 2012

Yes, either will work just fine. Perhaps this will clear a few things up:

The term "whipping" simply indicates there is sufficient fat for whipping, nothing else.

In the U.S.:

Half-and-Half runs about 12%

Light Cream is regulated to 18-30% fat but runs around 20%

Whipping cream / Light Whipping Cream is 30-36% fat (you need at least 30% for whipping, to at least double the cream's volume). Runs about 32%

Heavy Cream / Heavy Whipping Cream 36+%

Manufacturer's cream about 40% (a foodservice product and "Yum!")

Note: The heavier the cream, the better it will whip and the more stable it will be. Ultrapasteurized cream has a longer shelf life but reduced whipping capacity. Any of these products may or may not have emulsifiers and stabilizers added and may or may not be homogenized.