reheating large casserole boeuf bourguignon

I'm serving 10 people the wonderful Julia Child recipe for "boeuf" etc. It takes about
6 pounds of meat plus mushrooms, onions, sauce etc. and it will be served in a large stoneware casserole with top. I've never used this server before and I'm making the dish the day before. How long should I reheat it in the oven and at what temp please?

Monita October 17, 2012

If you can, take it out of the fridge 1/2 hour before heating it up so it's not ice cold going into the oven. Re-heat covered on a "gentle" temp like, 250 - for 45min-1hour

Voted the Best Reply!

Louisa N.
Louisa N. October 17, 2012

Sounds delicious! Simply reheat in a 325 oven until thoroughly hot, roughly 30 minutes. Consider covering with foil or lid to prevent the liquid reducing. Place dish on baking sheet just in case it bubbles over.

bigpan
bigpan October 17, 2012

I would reheat in the oven as others note;but, I would create a large Baine Marie waterbath so the bottom and sides don't burn. Recheck your liquids to make sure it does not dry out (Julia would simply add more wine but make sure it does not add an alcohol taste).

gravy lessons
gravy lessons October 17, 2012

I made this last week in my Dutch Oven for a party. My guests loved it. I too, made it the night before and reheated it. I sat it out on the counter for 30 minutes then reheated it low and slow with the lid on. I had to add 1/4 cup of water to mine, so keep an eye on it. It was one of the easiest parties that I've ever thrown. Have fun!

SeaJambon
SeaJambon October 18, 2012

I have done exactly the same as gravy lessons with the same, fantastic, results -- I'm sure yours will be the hit of your party! Personally, I think it is even better (if that is possible...) when allowed to sit overnight and then be reheated. It can also be successfully reheated on a med-low heat on the stove. It is, after all, "only" a beef stew (I had to put "only" in quotes -- as in "only" the most marvelous, eyes roll into the back of your head, beef stew -- but, ultimately, it honestly is a beef stew and doesn't require kid gloves)

Jill Chamberlin
Jill Chamberlin October 18, 2012

Food52 commenters are great! Thanks for all the excellent advice from people who are obviously serious cooks (and eaters!) Jill