Is there a specific name for oven safe bowls?

I have a recipe that requires to bake a soup (because it has bread on top) and the recipe calls for individual bowls that are oven safe. Is there a specific name for these? Where can I buy them?



ChefOno July 4, 2012

No disagreement with Sam except I think the word you're looking for is "ramekin", usually ceramic but sometimes glass bowls with a tolerance for high heat (ovens, broilers, brûlée torches). Any good kitchen store should stock a variety to meet the different requirements of the dishes prepared in them.

The traditional bowl for French onion soup has lion's heads for handles (see photo).


Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 July 4, 2012
Look at the bottom of the bowl. Most will have a stamp that says 'oven safe'.
Individual 'crocks' for french onion soups are good.
Recommended by Food52