🔕 🔔

Should I toast anise seed?

I used anise seed in a recipe recently and wonder if next time I make these cookies the anise would have a more pronounced flavor if I toasted it before grinding in a mortar and pestle.

asked by Shoshanadh over 5 years ago

I have not toasted anise seed for cookies, but I have sprinkled the baking sheet with the seeds and set the ookies on top of the seeds. They taste fine. But if you want a stronger anise flavor, perhaps you should add a few drops of anise oil to the batter. Note, I said anise oil, not extract. The oil is stronger and doesn't weaken with baking.