We're making peach BBQ sauce at our potluck; we'll then use some on grilled chicken. How should we marinate the chicken? Thanks! ;o)

The barbeque sauce is essentially a blended chutney with Worcestershire sauce and a tiny bit of ketchup added. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

chef of the future 2000

I would suggest a brine instead of marinade since you'll be adding sauce at the end. A brine will keep the chicken moist on the barbie.

AntoniaJames July 13, 2012

Thanks, CotF2000! What brine would you use? And how far in advance should I put the chicken into the brine? ;o)

chef of the future 2000

Basic brine is 1 cup salt, 1/2cup sugar, dissolved in 4 quarts water. How long you keep it in the brine depends on pieces vs whole bird. 1 hour for pieces and 2 for whole bird. Pat dry before cooking. Good luck.

mensaque
mensaque July 13, 2012

How about just brushing it with some melted butter,salted and with a bit of garlic?...I agree with future2000 that if you're adding sauce,you should keep it simple.

EmilyC
EmilyC July 13, 2012

I agree with the brine recommendation. You could wet brine or dry brine using the Russ Parsons' / Judy Rodgers' technique. I recall that aargersi had good luck with smoking a dry brined bird so grilling should work great too.

aargersi July 13, 2012

I did indeed and it is a staple on the TDay menu now! Dry brined with salt and honey then smoked. Mr L has been brining chickens in a mixture of brown sugar, salt, and whole garham masala and it's FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC. We get the whole spice at our Indian grocery but you could make it too.