🔕 🔔

To freeze coffee or not to freeze?

I've always stored my ground coffee in an airtight container in my cabinet. My grandmother freezes hers which I've always heard is really bad, especially for frequent use. Thoughts?

asked by olygirl about 4 years ago

You are correct. The more you take it out of the freezer to dish out a portion, the more you add airborne moisture. This moisture robs flavor from essential oils and other aromatics. Best off at room temp away from heat and light.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I concur but...

I've been roasting coffee at home for over 30 years and, frankly, I've never been asked that question before. Whenever storage and freshness come up for discussion, it's *always* about whole beans. That subject has been pretty well hashed out and tested over the years and I'm confident I know how to handle beans, green or roasted. But this is a different subject really.

A bean's lifetime is measured from the hour it's roasted, a process that is accelerated a hundredfold or more by grinding. It stands to reason the colder it's kept, the slower the release of the essential aromatics will be. You have to balance any increased lifespan with degradation from moisture so my thinking is "refrigerator".

Apparently the folks at Folger's agree: Ground coffee should be stored in the refrigerator for maximum life, freezing not recommended.

http://www.folgers.com...

Of course the best solution to this problem is to purchase a grinder. Even a $20 blade model will provide you with fresher, more flavorful coffee than pre-ground.

I agree with you. I read the original question wrong. Thought she was discussing whole bean not ground. Ground should be refrigerated.