substitute for lamb shoulder?

I was planning on making a curry that called for lamb shoulder, but none of the grocery stores around me carry it. They do have leg of lamb, but I know that's considerably leaner. What would be a better substitute, leg of lamb, or maybe pork shoulder or something else?

pierino July 31, 2012

Lamb shank if you are ready to strip the meat off with a sharp boning knife. OR you could use the shanks whole in your curry mix: cut the tendons and french the bone so that the meat balls up.

linzarella
linzarella July 31, 2012

This is hammering home the point that I need to get better at my butchery skills. However I don't think that's on the menu for today. Any non-knife skills solutions?

Tony S
Tony S July 31, 2012

Leg of lamb will work, you just have to braise it for about 3 hours. There are many middle eastern braises that call for leg of lamb. Just cube it and make sure your liquid will hold up for that long of a cooking period. If you are using coconut milk, you probably want to wait to add that until the end.

Tarragon
Tarragon July 31, 2012

It is not hard to take the meat off of a lamb shank. If I can do it anyone can! I also did this for a lamb stew, and it came out great.

jsdunbar
jsdunbar July 31, 2012

Your butcher will bone a leg of lamb for you. Then you can cube it.