🔕 🔔

Can you quick soak grains like you would beans?

I want to make some WG bread tonight so that it's ready to bake in the morning, but I don't have time to soak the optional wheat berries in the recipe. I can leave them out this time, but I'm curious if you can cheat and quick soak them in the first place.

asked by emadethis over 5 years ago

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

Yep, quick soaking* is a pretty widely recommended wheat berry cheat. It's not quite as effective as it is for beans, because what berries start out a good deal harder than beans do, but it's certainly a viable alternative.

*Put in cold water, bring to boil, kill the heat and soak for 1-2 hours, if anyone's wondering.

19ce46b9 02f2 4945 940d 0bf922e8ed02  100 1967

Thanks!

I often quick soak as well, just be aware that the texture can be slightly more chewy.