🔕 🔔

An embarrassment of Foie Gras

I have been gifted with a crazy amount of foie gras directly from France and I am trying to figure out what exactly to do with all of it. It is a lovely tasting duck liver foie gras commercial packaged in swing-top jars, and I had four of them (we have already eaten one) each with a huge fist size ball of foie gras in it. Right now its stored in my fridge per my French guest's instructions but I am not sure how long it can stay there, can/should I freeze it? What other uses can you guys recommend other than on toast with wine and mustard? Recipes would be great!!

asked by Mlc1977 about 5 years ago

One classic would be "tournedos Rossini", named for the Italian composer. Beef tournedo cooked in butter on the gas range, pan seared foie, topped with thinly sliced truffle. Or you could skip the tournedo part.
Please don't freeze it. The PETAphiles are already marching to take it away from you.

Seared foie gras is delish on all kinds of green salads. Makes a regular salad a spectacular event. Try sparkling wine or champagne as an accompaniment ... Yum

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

A bit unorthodox, but you can melt some into a pan sauce or braised meat dish.

We once had a staff meal of leftover torchon this way and needless to say it was pretty amazing.

How about a dinner party with beef wellington as the main course? Talk about a dinner party to remember!

I also had the best "cheese steak" ever from the Four Seasons in Philly that was done with foie, mushrooms, tenderloin, and caramelized onions. That would be a nice sandwich to replicate.

I can't imagine trying to sear foie gras that is not raw. What your friends brought you is intended to be smeared on rusks, if I'm not mistaken. So that means what else goes along with it to make it a little different each time. In addition to the traditional cornichons and pickled onions, you could try putting a sweet/tart jam or chutney on the toasts before the foie gras. We have really liked that! Another good idea is to spread some atop a perfectly cooked filet mignon. Whatta topping!!!

you can also stuff it into Armagnac-soaked prunes, (a la d'Artagnan's French Kisses), or into pitted dates. Either is totally decadent and delicious.