When is an avocado not safe to eat?

When areas turn brown, or have dark strings running though them, are they safe to eat? If not, is it okay to eat fresh looking parts adjacent to brown or stringy areas? Also, what are the strings?

Linn
Linn August 4, 2012

I cut out the brown spots and eat the rest. As for the strings, I find avocados with strings in them have deteriorated in flavor and do not taste good, so I usually throw them out. They are probably safe however. As to why the strings are there in the first place, here is what the California Avocado Board had to say:

Why does my avocado have strings or spots?
Strings or stringy fruit or the thickening of the vascular bundles (fibers that run longitudinally through the fruit) are generally the result of fruit from younger trees or improper storage conditions. Often times the fibers or strings will disappear or become less noticeable as the fruit (and tree) matures.

Flesh discoloration can occur when the avocado has been exposed to cold temperatures for a long period of time. Flesh bruising can occur in transit or as a result of compression caused by excessive handling. Unfortunately there is no way to detect either flesh discoloration or flesh bruising by looking at the avocado's exterior. Damaged areas or spots can be removed by cutting them out.

Voted the Best Reply!

nutcakes
nutcakes August 4, 2012

Do not eat while skydiving.

SeaJambon
SeaJambon August 4, 2012

Nutcakes - Isn't that pretty much true for eating anything before skydiving? ;) (I have a funny story about eating before skydiving, but it isn't appropriate here...)

ATG117
ATG117 August 4, 2012

I think Gourmet Metrics answer about the avocado being not fully mature is correct. I once inquired into this myself. Those strings are the worst texturally, and when they're present, I usually discard. But not because they're not safe.

micheleinmaryland
micheleinmaryland August 5, 2012

Avocados are toxic to dogs.

Chuck Huggins
Chuck Huggins December 6, 2015

Avocado contains a toxin called Persin, but despite the rumors, avocado is not poisonous to dogs, nor likely to cats. Only certain species are poisoned by Persin. While dogs and cats are not affected by Persin, avocado poisoning can be deadly to birds and large animals (such as cattle).

William Miller
William Miller September 5, 2017

No they R NOT .....dogs can eat them..... Who ever told u that doesn't know anything

Prajakta Gole Deshamukh
Prajakta Gole Deshamukh December 6, 2015

My avocado's skin color turns red, is good to eat?

HalfPint December 7, 2015

As long as the flesh is a vibrant greenish-yellow without any dark spots of color, it should be perfectly fine to eat. Sounds like your avocado might be ripe, maybe overly ripe. I find that the skin turns a reddish color when this happens.

Susan W December 7, 2015

Ripe avocado skin can be very dark green, almost black or dark purple. One of the 32 avocado trees in my mom's yard are always a reddish purple. It really is not a sign of anything. As HalfPint said, as long as the flesh is green and of good texture, dig in and enjoy.

Sonya
Sonya January 21, 2018

If the avocado isn't too stringy, I use it for baking: chocolate avocado brownies; choco avo cookies, etc.. Just made some with a very slightly stringy avocado.

Wandy S Rexall
Wandy S Rexall February 22, 2018

I just ate one that's flesh turned a light purple in my fridge over four days. It's cousin was left on the kitchen counter, no light, average temperature around 70F and in a day and a half had large brown spots which I cut out. Both had colored strings, though they weren't fibrous, just colors. So a near mature tree? Anyway, I'll let you know if this purple one doesn't kill me. If it tries to, hopefully I'll have enough time to call 911.

Charles Richards
Charles Richards March 2, 2018

Another site said that the "stringly" avocados (brown string-like strands inside) are from young trees. As avocados have become more popular, more trees are being planted and the stringly ones are probably from new farms or farms that planted new fields. Avocados grow on trees if you didn't know, so the trees take a long time to grow and the more mature trees produce better fruit apparantly.