Can I use "cake flour" in a layer cake recipe that calls for all-purpose flour?

asked by Seattle Mark almost 6 years ago

chef of the future 2000

Yes

Yes, depending on the cake. Cake flour contains substantially less protein than all-purpose (30% less), so if your recipe is predicated on the higher protein content of AP flour, perhaps add an additional egg to compensate.

CHeeb

My box of Swan's Down Cake flour also calls for an additional 2 tablespoons of cake flour to be added to every cup of all purpose flour the recipe calls for- so if your recipe calls for using two cups of AP flour, use two cups + four tablespoons of cake flour. Cake flour must be much finer ground than AP , and I have successfully used this swap when I found myself only having cake flour on hand . Happy baking...ch