I made more Humus than I need. Can I freeze some for another time?

asked by Elaine Ruth almost 6 years ago

chef of the future 2000

Yes you can freeze it however it may have an altered consistency after it has been frozen. It may alter its smooth and creamy texture.

If you freeze hummus, store it in an airtight, lidded plastic container. Leave about an inch of space to allow for the expansion that occurs when moist products freeze. Frozen hummus should be defrosted and consumed within 5-7 days. I have heard that by adding a TBSP of olive oil prior to freezing it will help with the consistency.

I just did this myself this week for the first time. I did nothing more than store it 'as is' in an airtight plastic container. When it defrosted it was absolutely fine - consistency and flavor unaltered.