It is OK, or even desirable, to grate Parmesan rinds?

I have a few rinds of Parmesan in my freezer and am wondering if it's OK, or even desirable to grate them? If not, is there any use I can make of them?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 6 years ago

Kfifer72

Dianna,

You can take them and put them in a pot with cold water and make a "stock" with them. It isn't the most pleasant smelling but it makes a wonderful base to cook white beans in.

I had a old VITAMIX. The big stainless steel kind I inherited from my Sister, with a motor that would dim the lights in the house.
There was a VCR tape with it that showed it turning blocks of wood into saw dust.

So, I thought "Hey, I'll turn these rinds into dust!!" ..It broke the blades.

Quinciferous

I sometimes toss a rind into a pasta sauce as it simmers, too. They add wonderful complexity to sauces and stocks.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It's OK (as in, edible) but the above suggestions are probably more effective use. I chuck them in the freezer for use when I'm making stew, bolognese, or polenta.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

I haven't tried this, but this recipe for TOASTING parmesan rinds looks amazing:

http://www.simplyrecipes...

(Otherwise, simmer them in soups.)

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you for the wonderful ideas (and the warning about trying to grind them!). And I have to try toasting them, as Nozlee suggests!

Linn

If any one knows a way to grate Parmesan rinds, please let me and Sam1148 know how.

Simplyaok

LOL Sam... When I read your response regarding the Vitamix I laughed so hard! I too am an owner of the big metal machine that can turn a steak into a smoothie in 10 seconds. I used it for years and actually loved it for various purposes but it's time was up. Not broken but I moved on. The ideas above for using rinds were great. I have no idea why somewone would want to grind them?