🔕 🔔

Best way to store parmesan

My wonderful sister gave me an obscene amount of parmesan for Christmas (like, half a wheel). Until recently, it's been in my fridge in the plastic packaging, but now that I've opened it, I want to make sure that I can keep it for as long as it lasts (which will be a long, long time at the rate I can use it). What is the best way that you've come across?

asked by Kanom almost 4 years ago

oops, missed this similar thread, which has the answers I need: http://food52.com/hotline...

Tho if anyone has more advice, pls feel free to weigh in!

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

You might find this article helpful too! http://food52.com/blog...

4c6ea460 9217 4186 b96b 8efb72cb6e32  twitter avi

Portion it out, vacuum package it and freeze it. It's a hard, low moisture cheese so the texture may get a little mealy, but you won't notice it. At least I don't. Don't just put it in freezer bags, though. The last thing you want is freezer burn. If you don't have a vacuum packager, I think I saw one at target the other day for thirty dollars; an investment that will save you hundreds.