🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins

Ad8e9321 7f8c 48ee 8827 4dbd47bc4eff  2016 0507 moms blueberry coconut muffins james ransom 006

I have a question about the ingredient "coconut, toasted" on the recipe "Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins" from Rhonda35. What is the best way to toast coconut? I have a small toaster oven, but I'm not sure what temperature to set it to.

asked by adwillis over 5 years ago

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

I prefer the stovetop method, if only because it encourages constant interaction. If I were as attentive to a pan in the oven as I am to a skillet on the stove, It probably wouldn't make much difference, but when the coconut never leaves my sight, I'm much less likely to singe it to a crisp.

400 degrees and 10 minutes wouldn't brown the coconut in my toaster over... it would burn it! Defintely try the pan....works great, esp. in a non-stick pan!

5adf0dd7 8f63 4faa b647 cc36fa22862d  me 72 dpi cropped sq

I usually toast coconut in my oven at a lower temp -- that way it gets a nice golden brown without burning. Try 300 to 325 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Shake pan or mix up with a metal spatula every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning. Credit for my method goes to my trusty Shelia Lukins cookbooks.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

I toast my large coconut shavings at 250...in my regular oven...toss every 5 minutes....it "browns" slowly because there is so much moisture in the coconut...if you are using the bag of sweetened coconut flakes...it needs to "dry out" before it can toast...that's why the stovetop method works as well.