🔕 🔔

Green Tomatoes

What can I do with my green tomatoes other than fry them in a pan? Oven-fry recipes welcome, but also anything more unique would be appreciated too. I suppose I was silly thinking my tomatoes would ripen in my NW climate without any special treatment, but now I want to turn my lemons into lemonade! (and next year I'll be a better gardener!)

asked by alimarcus about 5 years ago

You can make green tomato jam, chutney, or pickles. Somewhere out there are also recipes for green tomato pie.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I turn my zucchini bread into "green tomato bread" in the fall. use your favorite zucchini bread recipe and just sub green tomatoes chopped or shredded in the food processor for the zucchini.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

If you haven't tried Amanda's Fried Green Tomatoes with Panko and Parmesan, give it a shot. It's unique and everyone that I've made them for declares them the best they've ever had. Here's the link:

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Fry them and make veggi burgers. I use split toasted english muffins...wasabi mayo, a few quick pickled cucumber slices, and a slaw dressed with lime juice and olive oil, salt pepper.

Thanks! I am really interested in the baking direction for green tomatoes, wow. Also, can you use them in a stew of any sort?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Another possibility -- use them as a sub for tomatillos.