Green Tomatoes

What can I do with my green tomatoes other than fry them in a pan? Oven-fry recipes welcome, but also anything more unique would be appreciated too. I suppose I was silly thinking my tomatoes would ripen in my NW climate without any special treatment, but now I want to turn my lemons into lemonade! (and next year I'll be a better gardener!)

asked by alimarcus almost 6 years ago

You can make green tomato jam, chutney, or pickles. Somewhere out there are also recipes for green tomato pie.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I turn my zucchini bread into "green tomato bread" in the fall. use your favorite zucchini bread recipe and just sub green tomatoes chopped or shredded in the food processor for the zucchini.

JanetFL

If you haven't tried Amanda's Fried Green Tomatoes with Panko and Parmesan, give it a shot. It's unique and everyone that I've made them for declares them the best they've ever had. Here's the link:

Fry them and make veggi burgers. I use split toasted english muffins...wasabi mayo, a few quick pickled cucumber slices, and a slaw dressed with lime juice and olive oil, salt pepper.

alimarcus

Thanks! I am really interested in the baking direction for green tomatoes, wow. Also, can you use them in a stew of any sort?

Another possibility -- use them as a sub for tomatillos.