Sour cream substitution in baking

I want to make this (http://www.anecdotesandapples.com/maple-syrup-banana-bread) banana bread, but need a dairy free sub for sour cream. What purpose does the sour cream serve that I can replace with something else? Thanks!

• Posted by: Natalie
  • November 22, 2014

Monita November 22, 2014

There is a tofu sour cream you can find in many supermarkets. This is dairy free and works well in baking

spiffypaws
spiffypaws November 22, 2014

Since it's a quick bread recipe and the amount is only 2 TB, you can use dairy free yogurt in place of sour cream; I've used this sub a lot w/ out any problems.

Yianna
Yianna November 23, 2014

Sour cream is usually used for tenderness, moisture and also leavening - it is an acid that may react with ingredients on a higher PH scale to produce carbon dioxide and increase the products' height. You could use coconut/soy yogurt if you have it I guess, but a teaspoon or a little more of vinegar, lemon juice or other acids would also work.

ATG117
ATG117 November 23, 2014

apple sauce