🔕 🔔

My caramels are not getting firm, is this because I did not cook long enoug? What could be other issues? I did not use a candy thermometer.

asked by Picnic over 4 years ago
9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

Have you tried using the water drop method? If you're not using a thermometer it can be helpful.

Drizzle your caramel into cold water and if it firms up enough it is done, if it's still quite liquid it needs more time cooking.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

If you're not certain the candy was cooked to the correct temperature, start there. It's all about water content which determines the temperature at which the syrup boils and the consistency when cool.

You don't need a candy thermometer per se, but every kitchen needs a digital thermometer for safety's sake, if not for reasons such as this. Cooling a spoonful in cold water will work but it's not as precise nor anywhere nearly as quick and easy as reading the temperature with a thermometer.

You may be able to save the batch by reheating it and bringing it up to the correct temperature.