🔕 🔔

Question about "Soy" contest winner

http://food52.com/recipes...

This sounds delectable but need help with recommendation for fermented black beans. Any chain or higher-end brand you'd recommend? Or do I need to go to an Asian grocery store? (And if I make the schlep to one, is there a particular "insider" brand?)

Thank you!

asked about 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I haven't made this recipe, but I keep fermented black beans in the 'fridge.
I find them at an Asian market and they last years in the fridge they're salted and do need to be soaked and rinsed (and mashed up a bit) before use. Look for them in the chilled section at a Asian supermarket, sold in bags..I put them in jar after opening the bag. They're sometimes labeled "Dow See" in Asian markets.

Thanks, Sam! Interesting that they're sold in chilly bags vs jars... now I'm wondering about the fermentation process and could I do it myself with local beans. So much googling, so little time....

Oh, some brands are sold in jar...others in bags. My market sells them in bags, chilled.
However do have a jar of 'black bean sauce' from a Publix supermarket that's jarred.
But I don't think that's what you want for the recipe.
http://myhouseholdcapers...

The 'black beans' aren't really 'black beans' as we know them, but fermented soy beans.
Not really something to make at home as far I know.

Sam1148 is right. You want the black beans in bags. They are sometimes called "Salted Black Beans." I always save the bag they come in and take it into the Chinese grocery to show it to the non-English speaking staff, when I'm shopping for salted black beans. They last forever, even when you use them frequently, because you only need a tablespoon or so at a time. They are indispensable in my kitchen. I see that you can order them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MEE... I've bought "fermented black bean sauce" in jars before, but found that I didn't care much for the garlic, etc. they added. The pure bean work much more predictably. Have fun! ;o)

Thank you!