🔕 🔔

What counts as lettuce?

I'm realizing that I'm not sure what falls within the scope of lettuce for this week's contest. Are greens like arugula, spinach, and watercress fair game? How about chicories like radicchio and endive? My googling hasn't helped because some sources use lettuce as a broad catch-all, others define it more narrowly. Thanks for clarifying!

asked by EmilyC about 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Hey EmilyC! That's a great question, because what we broadly define as "lettuces" do fall under very different plant families. Here's what we're considering lettuces for this contest:

1. ALL of the plant family Asteraceae: any leaf, romaine, butter, dandelion, chicory, or iceberg lettuce.
2. SOME of the plant family Amaranthaceae: spinach, amaranth (but not chard)
3. SOME of the plant family Brassicaceae: watercress, radish greens, turnip greens, arugula (but not cabbage or kale)

I hope this is helpful!

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

Thank you for clarifying. Could you do further details on #3? mustard greens in or out?

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Thank you for this! I too was wondering what exactly was included.

One more note. Would it be possible to add the info at the contest header? Not everyone looks at the hotline.

We're actually very limited in space in the contest header, but I will see what I can do! I'm so glad this was helpful.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Seconding HLA -- often the contest parameters need clarification! Sort of a PS?