What counts as lettuce?

I'm realizing that I'm not sure what falls within the scope of lettuce for this week's contest. Are greens like arugula, spinach, and watercress fair game? How about chicories like radicchio and endive? My googling hasn't helped because some sources use lettuce as a broad catch-all, others define it more narrowly. Thanks for clarifying!

asked by EmilyC about 6 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Hey EmilyC! That's a great question, because what we broadly define as "lettuces" do fall under very different plant families. Here's what we're considering lettuces for this contest:

1. ALL of the plant family Asteraceae: any leaf, romaine, butter, dandelion, chicory, or iceberg lettuce.
2. SOME of the plant family Amaranthaceae: spinach, amaranth (but not chard)
3. SOME of the plant family Brassicaceae: watercress, radish greens, turnip greens, arugula (but not cabbage or kale)

I hope this is helpful!

BoulderGalinTokyo

Thank you for clarifying. Could you do further details on #3? mustard greens in or out?

EmilyC

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

Thank you for this! I too was wondering what exactly was included.

One more note. Would it be possible to add the info at the contest header? Not everyone looks at the hotline.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

We're actually very limited in space in the contest header, but I will see what I can do! I'm so glad this was helpful.

Seconding HLA -- often the contest parameters need clarification! Sort of a PS?