what to do with leftover beets

I'm making a Barzcz for my Polish In-laws. I want to serve the broth with some mushroom raviolis which means that I also want to completely clarify my broth with a raft. This also means that I won't be serving the beets with the soup. It will be just the consume and the ravioli.

Any suggestions on what I can do with those simmered beets afterwards? I'll need to cut them up pretty small before adding to the stock. So think either thinly sliced disks, julienne, small dice or even grated.

• Posted by: Benny
  • September 10, 2012

pierino September 10, 2012

Right away I'm thinking red flannel hash.

Benny
Benny September 10, 2012

I've never heard of this until now. A quick google search and now I'm definately gonna give this a try. If not this time, then in the future. I make a lot of barzcz during the winter so I'll have ample opportunity. Thanks for the idea :D

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna September 10, 2012

Chocolate cake?

Pegeen September 10, 2012

I know it sounds obvious but puree the beets to make a base for borscht, and freeze it? It would be wonderful to have a vivid magenta soup on a winter day, a few months from now.

Benny
Benny September 10, 2012

Typically, I would just chop up the beets and keep them in the broth and add some potatoes and a spoon full of sour cream. In this instance, however, I'm showing off and doing a clear consume with the ravioli which is why I now have the simmered beets as a by-product. Pureeing these beets would provide little benefit to a future Barzcz since 90% of the red pigment has already been simmered out.

Voted the Best Reply!

ATL
ATL September 10, 2012

Marinate in a vinaigrette and put in a chopped salad, including either blue cheese crumbles or goat cheese.

KitchenKim
KitchenKim September 10, 2012

I've also been stumbling upon many beet and quinoa salads...

KitchenKim
KitchenKim September 10, 2012

Benny
Benny September 10, 2012

Nice, I'll have to look up some of these recipes. thanks!

Sammydad
Sammydad September 10, 2012

Pickle them with sliced onions.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 11, 2012

Benny, I was going to send you a private message about procurring great radishes and new restaurants arounnd Stamford, Darien, Westport & New Canaan. Let me know.