Homemade ketchup

I owe a friend a favor. She asked to be repaid with homemade ketchup. Why not? Well. I'm buying about 25-40 pounds bulk tomatoes that I plan to make into all sorts of excellent tasty things. All the recipes for homemade ketchup I can find all start with tomato paste. I do plan to make tomato paste, that's something I do every year. But is it possible to make homemade ketchup without first making tomato paste? Can I somehow streamline this process? Also, has anyone made ketchup with honey or molasses as the sweetener, so it doesn't have any refined sugar?

asked by beyondcelery almost 4 years ago

Yes, it's certainly possible. Googling "ketchup recipe 'fresh tomatoes'" turns up dozens of recipes with various sweeteners. Most of them read a lot like recipes for tomato paste, but with onion/garlic/vinegar/sweetener/spices added.

I made a batch of ketchup from fresh tomatoes years ago, when my children were small. Never again. After several hours of reducing and much spice-tweaking I had produced a couple pints of what I thought was really good stuff. I emerged from the red-spattered kitchen and proudly presented some to the kids with their burgers.

They took a taste, turned up their nose and asked for Heinz. Then my wife did, too. Ketchup is one of those foods where remembered tastes are hard to dislodge.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Sometimes the trick to introducing a change like that is to take it out of the usual context. On a burger, I'd likely side with the rest of your family. In a new combination, as a sauce for, say, spring rolls or sausage-stuffed mushrooms, you might well get a different reaction.

For manufacturing purposes, tomato products such as sauce and catsup are often made from paste. In restaurant and home kitchens, it makes sense not to reduce the tomatoes to paste only to reconstitute the paste back to the desired level of concentration. In other words, yes, I think you're on the right track from that perspective.

Ask if you want an argument for starting with paste, otherwise it should be a fun experiment.

Here are some things to think about. Although Adam does use some paste in his recipe, you can sub more fresh and reduce if you prefer.

http://www.starchefs.com...

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

i've made ketchup with fresh tomatoes for some time. i listed a recipe for fresh tomato ketchup on this site, which might be helpful.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I make a less traditional version that contains roasted pureed red peppers mixed with tomatoes, and that helps to achieve a thicker mixture while cutting down on boiling out the water from the tomatoes.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Seems you have several questions:
How to streamline the ketchup process and not use paste
Make ketchup with honey and/or molasses rather than refined sugar

Possibly you want to ask another question - how to get the best ketchup in the shortest amount of time?

Then there is another question - ketchup or catsup?

Seems both recipes have in common is condensed tomato flavor with a little acid. Possible forget the paste and go after condensation of your flavors. And you do know your flavors, bc. Your recipes are wonderful!

Regarding sweeteners, for my taste buds honey is superior to molasses and you can use either rather than refined sugar.

What a good friend you are in how you repay your favor!

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Thanks, everyone! I've got a couple good recipes to play with now. I think I'll try it with honey, since that seems like it'll go over better flavor-wise. I definitely love molasses, but I wouldn't want it too strong for my friend. Maybe I'll add some roasted red peppers, that's a great idea! I think my friend seldom uses commercially made ketchup, so I hope I'll have a lot of leeway on flavor with it.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I've always figured that homemade ketchup weren't called ketchup or catsup, but something else, no one's tastebuds or brains would get ready for Heinz.