🔕 🔔

My grandmother used to make shnecken. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so do you have a recipe?

asked by chef on everit about 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

No, but I looked it up and it's basically a German pastry cinnamon roll.
With some additions. I might have to make these...thanks.

Greenbergs in NYC still makes them,I believe. Basically a decadently good sticky bun

Wholefoods user icon

It's basically a cinnamon bun with raisins. Here's one version: http://www.food.com/recipe...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

There's was a bakery in Cincinnati for many years called Virginia Bakery that made a fantastic, super buttery, caramelized version. Another bakery (Bushen? Bushkin?) still makes their recipe for a limited period every year. They're like the holy grail for a couple of older friends who grew up there.

In NYC, William Greenberg definitely makes them, but I think it might be seasonal. They were a standard at lots of great German bakeries in my grandparents' neighborhood, Yorkville (German/E. Euro area of Manhattan) but most, like Konditerei, are long, long gone. Glaser's might still be open, but I'm not sure. Anyway, maybe one of their recipes is lurking out there online.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

There's a recipe for them in the Joy of Cooking (in the 2006 edition, it's on page 613; in the 1975 edition, it's on page 614; in the 1964 edition, it's on page 566). It looks basically like Danish pastry dough filled with raisins, pecans, and lemon zest. Brown sugar and butter are also involved.

I recall seeing Martha Stewart making these (and calling them "schneken") on her show several years ago (before it moved to whatever poorly-viewed cable channel its on now). I'd check her website(s) for both schnecken/schneken/shnecken/shneken or cinammon rolls and see what you come up with. I also seem to recall her calling them "raisin snails" as an alternative name. Hope this helps.